BOARD OF TRUSTEES’ MEETING – MINOT-SLEEPER LIBRARY
TUESDAY, JANUARY 12, 2010
PRESENT: Glenn Dorr, Roger Nicholls, Wendy Costigan, Barbara Greenwood, George Corrette, Bill Barrett, Deborah Gilbert
ABSENT: Nancy Gavalis, Deborah Doe
- Roger Nicholls made a motion to accept the Secretary’s Report as written, Barbara Greenwood seconded and the motion carried as all were in favor.
- George Corrette reported that the checkbook currently had a balance of $15,432.97. This reflects a $5,000.00 donation from the Charles Foundation and the proceeds from the Cookie Buffet. He would like to transfer $10,000.00 to the building fund.
- Barbara Greenwood made a motion to authorize the transfer of $10,000.00 from the checking account to the 2005 Capital and Building Fund.
- George Corrette reported that the stock portfolio was at $112,000.00 and the investment pool was at $97,000.00. He would have full end of the year reports at the next meeting.
- Glenn Dorr asked what funds were available for the building project. George Corrette estimated $100,000.00 of the stock portfolio and $50,000.00 of the investment pool.
- Roger Nicholls made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report, Barbara Greenwood seconded and the motion carried as all were in favor.
- An updated project budget summary was available from David King. The overall cost of the project has gone down from that of the last estimate for a project total of $1,740,897.00.
- The library’s narrative for the annual town report has been turned in to the Town Office. Deborah Gilbert reported a circulation of 33,198 items, a 5.3% increase, 20,542 patron visits, a 12.7% increase (which does not include the 859 in attendance at offsite programs) and 1948 volunteer hours in 2009.
- In addition to the current statistics being tracked, in 2010 we will be recording the use of the downstairs as a meeting room for non-library uses.
- The Cookie Buffet was very successful. Sales were just under $1,400.00 which is about twice that of last year. The partnership with the Masons’ annual Breakfast with Santa continues to work well.
- The library will be participating in “The Lakes Region Reads” in the fall. The book chosen is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The coordinating event that the library will be sponsoring is a USO Canteen, held at the Old Town Hall, to honor local Veterans and Service Men and Women. Barbara Greenwood added that the Bristol Historical Society had items and information that could worked into a display.
- A Power Point Presentation that is in the works for the building project was shown. Glenn Dorr suggested that a slide be included about the 125th anniversary and Barbara Greenwood would like to include some historical slides of the library and past librarians.
- The Board received an email from Murray Campbell. Glenn Dorr will call Mr. Campbell.
- Deborah Gilbert reported that David King had called with some figures that had been requested for the future operating costs of the expansion. Based on .30 KWH and using the old design, the estimate for cooling was $6,500.00. Based on $2.50/gal, and using the original design, the estimate for heating was $13,500.00. He felt with the changes discussed for insulation and radiant heat downstairs that these numbers could be lowered.
- The petition for the warrant article will need to be in to the Town Office by February 2, 2010. Deborah Gilbert will check with the Town Clerk about format.
- Discussion of criminal background checks for future hires and volunteers and the need for adopting a policy at the library.
- Deborah Gilbert will call the Local Government Center for information.
- Deborah Gilbert will check with Les Dion at the TTCC about their policies and procedures.
- Deborah Gilbert will inquire at the Scrooge & Marley Co-op and see what policies and procedures are being used at neighboring libraries.
- Information gathered will be discussed at the next board meeting.
- Discussion of the amount for the warrant article.
- George Corrette made a motion that $1,740,897.00 be requested in the warrant article, Roger Nicholls seconded and the motion carried as all were in favor.
- George Corrette will get bond schedules reflecting that amount.
- Wendy Costigan will send a copy of the warrant article to Paul Weston to be looked at by the town counsel.
- Barbara Greenwood asked George Corrette how much had been spent on the project to date. George estimated $35,000.00 for the architect and other misc. items and $125,000.00 for the purchase of the property next door.
- Discussion of buttons and t-shirts promoting the library project and anniversary.
- Roger Nicholls made a motion to authorize the librarian to spend up to $300.00 for buttons, Barbara Greenwood seconded and the motion carried as all were in favor.
- Barbara Greenwood made a motion to authorize the librarian to spend up to $150.00 for t-shirts and staff aprons, Roger Nicholls seconded and the motion carried as all were in favor. T-shirts will be sold at cost.
- Discussion of a fly through graphic of the proposed addition to be used in the power point presentation.
- Roger Nicholls made a motion to spend up to $1000.00 for the fly graphic, Bill Barrett seconded and the motion carried as all were in favor.
- A draft of the library project brochure was passed out around. Glenn Dorr suggested that some of our circulation figures be included.
- The library project will be presented to the Select Board on January 28, at 5:30pm. All board members are encouraged to attend.
- It was decided to hold an open house at the library on February 28 to celebrate the library’s 125th anniversary.
George Corrette made a motion to adjourn, Roger Nicholls seconded and the motion carried as all were in favor.
Library Director/Acting Secretary